September 24, 2010
Explosive Formula: (THE BIG BANG THEORY4 ) x [0923 @ 20:00h] = 3.1 Million Viewers
– THE BIG BANG THEORY season premiere is 2nd most-watched comedy broadcast ever in Canada –
– CTV rules Thursday, winning every hour from 7-11 p.m.–
– GREY’S ANATOMY returns with 2.5M, THE MENTALIST with 2.6M –
– Justin Bieber helps CSI deliver 1.9M out of simulcast –
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/cgx9Id
Toronto, ON (September 24, 2010) – It was a seismic shift on the Canadian television landscape last night when the fourth season premiere of THE BIG BANG THEORY exploded to its largest audience ever in its new Thursday night timeslot on CTV. With 3.11 million viewers, THE BIG BANG THEORY not only won Night 4 of Premiere Week and became the most-watched program overall of the week in Canada, but goes down in the record books as the second-most watched comedy broadcast ever in Canada. With the addition of Thursday’s audiences for THE MENTALIST (2.64 million) and GREY’S ANATOMY (2.53 million), plus Wednesday’s CRIMINAL MINDS (2.64 million), CTV now lays claims to four of the Top 5 most-watched programs of Premiere Week. All are available now, on demand, on the CTV Video Player at CTV.ca.
The record-breaking audience for THE BIG BANG THEORY follows an extensive cross-promotional campaign, which included street-level events in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver yesterday; national print, radio, outdoor and online advertising; and a special programming stunt last Thursday that saw five episodes broadcast back-to-back to reinforce the Thursday move.
THE BIG BANG THEORY powered CTV to an incredible night Thursday, winning every individual hour from 7-11 p.m. not only in total viewers, but with the three key adult demos as well. A quick ratings snapshot of last night reveals that:
At 7 p.m.
• Justin Bieber’s acting debut on CSI resulted in 1.86 million viewers out of simulcast on CTV to win the timeslot nationally and in Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver with total viewers and A25-54.
At 8 p.m.
• THE BIG BANG THEORY delivered a 36% Share with A25-54 and A18-49, meaning more than one out of every three people watching television at 8 p.m. watched the premiere.*
• The episode now ranks as the #2 comedy broadcast in Canada ever, following the finale of FRIENDS, according to CTV records.
• More than double the audience of its next closest competitor, BONES (1.74 million, Global/FOX) in all three key demos.
At 8:30 p.m.
• The SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA Results Episode saw an increase of 28% in its new Thursday night timeslot compared to last week (940,000).
• The episode delivered nearly twice as many viewers as the season premiere of 30 ROCK (653,000; Citytv/NBC)
At 9 p.m.
• With 2.53 million viewers, GREY’S ANATOMY tripled the season premiere of THE OFFICE (888,000; Global/NBC) and OUTSOURCED (797,000; Global/NBC). The #3 program of the night overall, GREY’S ANATOMY won its timeslot nationally and in Toronto and Calgary with total viewers, A25-54 and A18-49.
At 10 p.m.
• With 2.64 million viewers, THE MENTALIST also tripled the audience of its nearest competitor THE APPRENTICE (789,000; Global/NBC) to become the #2 program of the night overall. THE MENTALIST won its timeslot in total viewers and key demos nationally and in Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver.
CTV, Canada’s Olympic Network, is also Canada's largest private broadcaster. Featuring a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming, CTV is Canada’s most-watched television network. CTV Inc. also owns radio stations across the country and owns or has interests in leading national specialty channels, featuring news, sports, factual, arts, entertainment, music, youth and fashion programming. Official broadcaster of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games and London 2012 Games of the Olympiad, CTV Inc. is owned by Bell Media Inc., Canada’s premier multi-media company, which also owns Canada’s national newspaper, The Globe and Mail. More information about CTV may be found on the network’s website at www.ctv.ca.
– CTV –
Source: BBM Canada
*Share based upon Canada total minus Quebec Franco
For more information:
Amanda Rinaldo, CTV Inc., 416-384-5325 or firstname.lastname@example.org
> Print friendly version